Accordian Fold
A bindery term where two or more parallel folds open like an accordion. 
Acid Free
A paper that has no acidity and no residual acid producing chemicals. Papers manufactured to a pH of higher than 7.0 (neutral).
Adhesive Bound
Book binding technique that uses glue or hot melt glue to hold each page or signature together and into the cover of the book.
American Forest & Paper Association. An organization that coordinates the many different needs of the broad- based paper and paperboard industry.
Against The Grain
Folding or feeding paper at right angles to the grain direction of the paper.
Antique Finish
A very rough uncoated paper finish, obtained on the paper machine with little wet pressing or machine calendering; can also serve as a prefix to other finishes, implying a rougher than usual finish, such as antique or vellum.
Archival Paper
A paper that has long-standing qualities - acid free, lignin free, usually with good color retention. Archival papers must meet national standards for performance. The expected life of archival paper is more than 100 years.
Backing Up
Printing the reverse side of a sheet already printed on one side.
Crushed sugar cane or fiber used in papermaking. An alternative fiber to trees.
Basis Weight
The weight in pounds of a ream of paper, typically consisting of 500 sheets cut to its basic size.
Large, longitudinally partitioned vat used to mix and mechanically work pulp with other ingredients to make paper.
Bill Of Lading
Transportation term referring to the contract between a supplier and carrier, listing number of packages, total weight, and address of destination.
A department in a book manufacturing or printing plant that takes the paper after printing, folds it, collates the signatures and binds them.
Blade Coating
The coating method that uses a knife blade to apply a smooth and level, but non-uniform thickness, of coating to the surface of a sheet of paper.
A fabric coated with rubber or other synthetic material which is clamped around the blanket cylinder and which transfers the ink from the press plate to the paper.
An extra amount of the printing image that extends beyond the trim edge of the sheet or page.
Blotter Paper
Is a very absorbent and bulky, wood-free paper that is sometimes made from a pulp of cotton or wool fibers.
Bond Paper
Originally referred to paper used for printing BONDS and other certificates, but now a generic term applied to business papers; also called writing; generally are less opaque than an equivalent weight book paper. Bond paper normally used in any office for copier, laser printer, and general typing or writing.
Book Papers
Also called text or offset. Book Papers are made from all types of virgin, reclaimed and recycled pulps in a variety of basis weights and variety of finishes. Book papers are generally more opaque than an equivalent weight bond paper.
The brilliance or reflectance of paper.
Is a heavyweight paper that possesses higher-than-average quality characteristics.
Paper trimmings or paper damaged from breaks on the paper machine.
Broken Carton
A carton of paper that has been opened and some of its contents removed.
Thickness of paper stock in thousandths of an inch or number of pages per inch.
Coated one side.
Coated two sides.
A stack of smooth steel rolls resting on top of the other at the end of a paper machine. The paper web is threaded between one or more of the "nips" under pressure to control the desired smoothness and thickness of the final sheet.
The thickness of paper expressed in thousandths of an inch.
Camera-Ready Copy
As the name implies, this is copy to be printed that is ready to be used without further alteration.
Carbonless Paper
Copying paper that is coated so that it can be used without carbon coating or interleaved carbon paper. Paper used in multi-ply or multiple copy forms.
A general term used to indicate a folding paper box container of paper.
Case Bound Book
A book with a hard, stiff cover made of chipboard and covered with paper, cloth vinyl or leather material.
Cast-Coated Paper
High-gloss coated paper and paperboard with surface characteristics produced by allowing applied coating to harden while in contact with surface of steam-heated, high-polished, chrome-plated drum.
CB Paper
Coated Back; the coated donor sheet of mated carbonless paper, used in multiple part forms; the CB coating contains colorless dyes, microencapsulated with a suitable solvent, for controlled release and development of color on the CF receiver sheet; will have the CB coating on the back of all but the last ply of the form.
Cellulose Fibers
The primary ingredient or raw material in making paper derived mainly from wood, but can be obtained from cotton, sugar cane, or other plant sources.
CF Paper
Coated Front; the coated receiver sheet of mated carbonless paper, used in multiple part forms; contains a color developer in the CF coating; will have the CF coating on the 2nd through the last plies of the form.
CFB Paper
Coated Front and Back; the intermediate or middle plies of mated carbonless paper, used in multiple part forms. CFB paper has both CF and CB coatings; see CF and CB paper. Also see carbonless paper.
Paperboard made primarily from waste paper.
Coated Paper
Paper that has been coated with a material to provide printing ink holdout and smoothness. It is manufactured in a variety of finishes.
A surface with a rippling effect, intentionally obtained by air drying under minimum tension; simulates hand made, air dried paper; as a cockle finish, is a desirable effect.
The gathering of printed, signatures in correct order prior to binding.
Color Bars
Printed bars of ink colors used to monitor a print image. These bars show the amount of ink to be applied by the press, the registration, and the densities across the press sheet.
Color Separation
The process of separating full color originals into the primary printing colors; see "three-color and four-color process"; can be accomplished either photographically or electronically.
Commodity Offsets
Papers having lower brightness and opacity than premium grades and priced accordingly. These papers are commonly made in large volume.
Common Carrier
Transportation term also known as LTL (Less Than Truckload) carrier used for shipping small items.
Competitive Grades
Similar grades of papers produced by mills for the same purpose.
Allowing paper to sit long enough for it to adjust to the surrounding atmosphere until its moisture content is equal to atmospheric moisture content. This process provides for optimum performance on the press.
Converted Paper
Paper changed from its original state into a new product such as envelopes, gummed tape, labels, etc.
Copier/Laser Paper
Lightweight grades of good quality and dimensionally stable papers used in photocopying.
A tube, usually metal, wood, fiberboard, or metal-tipped, on which paper is wound.
Cotton Fiber
Domestic paper made with 25 to 100% cotton fibers are classified as cotton papers. One of the finest materials used for paper, cotton is durable and is often selected for certificates and historical documents.
Cover Paper and Cardstock
Heavyweight paper used for cover
and cards.
The trade name for DuPont color proofs.
To cut off parts of a picture or image.
Crop Marks
The printed lines showing where to trim a printed sheet.
Printing across the gutter or from one page to the facing page of a publication.
In die-cutting, a sharp-edged knife usually several thousandths of an inch lower than the cutting rules in a die, made to cut part way into the paper or board for folding purposes.
A truckload of paper weighing 40,000 lbs.
Cut-Size Paper
Refers to any lift of paper, which is 17" x 22", or less in dimensions. Generally, specific to business papers which are generally 8 1/2" x 11", 8 1/2" x 14" (legal size), 11" x 17" or A4A size.
Hundred weight - a unit of measurement to denote 100 lbs. for pricing or weight purposes.
Dandy Roll
A hollow wire-covered roll that rides on the paper machine wire and compacts the wet, newly formed web to improve its formation and, if required, to impart a watermark or laid finish to paper. A desired effect you can see if light is viewed through the sheet.
A term sometimes used to refer to the wet end width of a paper machine. In papermaking, the width of the wet sheet as it comes off the wire.
Deckle Edge
The feathery edge that is the result of the natural run-off of wet pulp when making handmade and mould made paper, or the result of sheets being torn when wet. The edge is simulated in machine made papers by cutting them with a stream of water when still wet.
A design, letters, or pattern cut in metal for stamping, embossing or for die cut.
Die Cut
The method of cutting paper into irregular shapes by metallic dies to specified dimensions.
The large pressure vessel that wood is cooked to extract the cellulose fibers.
Digital On-Demand Or Print On-Demand
Refers to the ability to print very small quantities (50-500 copies),
quickly and cost-effectively.
Dimensional Stability
Paper's ability to maintain size and resistance to dimensional change when exposed to various ambient conditions.
Direct Printing
Any printing where the ink is transferred directly from the plate to the paper; most lithographic printing is "offset," i.e., a blanket is utilized to transfer the ink from the plate to the paper.
Dot Gain
The gain in size of the printed dot, as a result of the ink, paper, printing pressure, prepress operation, or any combination of these. Since the dots printed are larger than planned, this can be a defect evidenced by darker tones and/or different hues.
Double Coated
A sheet that has been coated twice on the same side. Sometimes incorrectly confused with a sheet coated on both sides.
DPI - (dots per inch)
In printing the number of dots that fit horizontally and vertically into a one-inch measure. Generally, the more dots per inch, the more detail is captured, and the sharper the image.
The application of a thin film of ink to a piece of paper. It is used as a test for coating or ink for color.
Using a hollow point drill to pierce a stack of paper in a precise manner. Loose-leaf notebook paper is an example of drilled paper.
Dry Back
The term applied when the density and/or gloss of the wet, freshly printed ink film decreases after drying to a greater extent than was anticipated. It is generally related to an overly absorbent paper surface or a poor ink-paper choice.
Dry End
That part of the paper machine where the paper is dried; the last sections of the machine.
DT Cover
"Double-thick" describes a sheet of paper made by bonding two thicknesses of paper together resulting in an extra-stiff sheet.
Dull Coated
A finish with a low gloss. With respect to coated box paper, a finish with a glare test less than 55 percent.
A preliminary mock-up to show the style, form, size or shape of a printing job.
A halftone illustration printed in two colors from a single color original to increase contrast or image.
Using two different stocks or it may also be obtained by pasting (laminating) together two papers or boards of different texture. It is the general term that refers to multi-ply paper made of two sheets of paper.